10.03.2011

ny meetup


we began the day as any good day should begin, with carafes of sangria and festive flowers to frolick with.  el centro played host to lunch, and they were fabulous (picture by our man jonathan, standing on top of table). from bottom left corner to bottom right, we have:  vicki, daughter fish, cindy, mena, moi, debi, meg, lisette, and nettie.  it was a school day, so many rsvps sadly did get tied up at work... don't worry, we drank extra sangria for you!


the extremely confusing sew weekly theme (MY BAD) lead to floral frocks and technicolor hues.  oh so much pattern.  i was in heaven.  i wanted to put these gals in my bag.  the details on the neckline of cindy's dress!  miss fish's silk poppies!  mena's... erm... staples!


que beautiful, no?  like they have their own inner miniature sun.

we snagged marina on the tail end of lunch, and per lisette's idea, we had a pattern swap, with the impromptu locale of worldwide plaza's cement park.  marina was a BIG contributor.  puu joined in and brought a hefty bag of envelopes as well (her red cigarette pants were also an object of desire)...


(photo by debi-- her absolutely musical giggle lit up the day.  girl, did you snag any?  vintage goddess, i don't even KNOW!)  i ran into an old friend and completely missed the swap... fitting, as i forgot and brought nothing to the party.  yet i still managed to walk away with these beauties.  BRAT.


(the notions are from SIL threads, another stop along the way.  i was challenged several times for ODIs and was therefore forced to shop.  some of the challenges are malicious.  i'm not naming any names mena.) 

bags bulging with pattern goodness, we then headed to paron fabrics, my favorite, where peter joined up.  i decided i should abstain from fabric purchases as i'd have my hands full co-hosting... and then bought 12 yards of fabric at the very first stop.


check out marina and nettie.  put them together: effortless chic.  

speaking of chic, at our second stop, chic fabrics, the sangria caught up.  miss fish had to jet in order to Sew For Other Peeps (the horror).  i discovered nettie and i have the same affinity for swearing (brilliant!).  marina raised her eyebrows at several questionable fabrics.  it quickly became clear we needed caffeine.  my first clue was finding mena laying on the bolts of fabric in the back.  i believe cindy saw her flailing, then spied the hidden alley of fabrics behind her, and made a beeline over her exhausted body.  was that you, cindy?   was i still drunk? 

so, after a tete a tete with peter on the best place to go, we headed to dean and deluca's.


at this point, i had had enough of peter, and i told him so.  i believe he's reaching for a sharp implement. (photo by marina.  i should have taken peter down a dark alley where there would be no evidence.)


coffee refreshed, and mysteriously sans peter, we took to the streets again...  THESE DRESSES.  the straps on meg's dress are exactly what i wanted, and failed to produce, on my own dress.  and do you mark debi and lisette in two of my all time favorite creations? do you know how hard it was to keep my jealous hands away?  i think they did it on purpose to tempt me.  pink and purple.  and peacock.  yes please.  (photo by vicki, also in pink print... pillowcases.   a perfect pendrell. preposterous.  peruse the next pic.)


we came close to making good on meg's bag's promise when the proprietress at 21 century fabrics decided to waffle on previously quoted prices.  we won.  as meg would say:  OMG.  we are TOTALLY not j/k.  (picture by debi.  i had no idea this joint had a balcony.)

after 4 more stops (map here) and 5 hours of shopping, several ladies went home happy... we saw lisette off at port authority with a bag bigger than she.  thank god, somebody had to beat me and my self imposed and very much broken No Frigging Fabric rule.

we ended the night at room service, where the waitress was hell bent on wasting as much prosecco as possible. elisabeth and sandy joined up, and we did our best to get them drunk.  did we succeed? i don't know, elisabeth looks properly toasty in her self stitched goodness (doesn't it go so well with debi's?), but sandy's eyeing meg's fizzy drink. (pictures by marina.  there was another half to this table, including le photographer, cindy & mena, but did this co-host pull her camera out?  no.  i was too busy holding my drink. )

[edit:  you gals will be interested to know, the bill was NOT short.  my drunk ass dropped 25 bucks out of the loot and, after fisticuffs with meg over who would chip in more (she won, she has like two feet on me), sandy noticed the missing dough on the floor.  i had to convince meg i wasn't trying to pull a fast one when i gave her back the extra chip in.  of course sewing peeps don't short.  we do math all the time.

we parted ways on ninth avenue, the co-hosts headed to a top secret mission, and new found friends headed to more drinks.  

the saddest thing in life is not pear shaped hips.  it is ending a meetup with these fantastic peeps and heading into a work filled weekend.  but, after the plaster fiasco of saturday morning, i did manage to snag a little extra sunday morning pre-bus coffee time with the awesome sewing scientist...


note my heroin-chic undereyes.  credit goes to plaster covered floors, baby shower and bridal party duties.  credit for the pose goes to tanit-isis, vicki decided it should be in your honor.  would that you were here...

would that alla y'all were here... next time!!!

28 comments:

  1. oona, honey, debi snagged ALL of the patterns! that little minx with her maniacal laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! What fun!! You all look like you had a blast! What better way to spend a day than fabric shopping and drinking amongst friends!!!!! Wish I was there, so jealous! Can't wait to see what all of you whip up from the spoils of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahaha! That last photo! I don't think I captured Tanit-Isis' dramatic stare as much as I looked like a deer in the headlights!
    BTW, I lost that pink hair flower somewhere between that restaurant shot and falling into my hotel bed with all my clothes on and my hotel keycard clutched in my hand. Shoulda' used the hairpins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic day!! Loved reading what you were up too and looking at those gorgeous photos. I actually recently bought 6 mtr of that gorgeous fabric Cindy has on, to use as curtains on my new sewing room. Finding it more and more difficut to justify that use though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why-oh-why do I always have unbreakable commitments when others are meeting up for fabric shopping!?!? Wedding-schmedding! Next time it's fabric shopping for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oona, just for the record, i didn't witness Peter's execution. Too much Sangria, i am afraid! My eyebrows still raised... Loved your lovely account of the day! THanks for maling it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, what a fun day! I'm still crying a little over missing it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, when I die and go to heaven it will be just like this day. Brought back memories to see that Mood bag from my trip to New York earlier in the year. I really must get round to using that fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like it was SO MUCH FUN! I love how colorful everyone is in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, oh my, oh my! You lovely ladies look like you had an all round good time! Its such a shame I live on the dang other side of the world and couldn't join you. Next blogger meet up in Oz? sure thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great day!! I'm seriously going to have a hard time topping it! Thanks for including me and saying SUCH NICE THINGS about me on your blog :P I'm going to think about this day every time I take a picture so I can look this nice in them, lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you all had such an amazing time! Just looking at the photos makes me want to jump on the next plane for a trip back to the fabric district for some shopping! lol. (Was there in early September and completely overwhelmed by the choices!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful, colorful, eventful day for all of you. It looks well planned and well executed. Glad you all enjoyed yourselves! One of these days I hope to meet some other sewing bloggers... Until then, I'll just enjoy everything online.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you all had a blast! I guess there are some definite pros to living on the US East Cost! I'll go now and cry my eyes out for missing it... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO wish I were there. Why does this planet have to be so freakin' big, I tell ya?

    Gotta win the lottery, man. Except I don't buy tickets. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh you're making me jealous! I wish we'd had a chance to go shopping when I was in NY last year!

    When you get to London it's ON, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, what a day! Sounds like a ton of fun, and maybe someday, I will be so chic to survive a day of fabric shopping. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had such a great time!! Thanks again everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so jealous! It sounds like so much fun.

    Wish I were still living in NYC...sweet fabric heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SERIOUSLY EPIC DAY, Y'ALL. I had the absolute best time. Can we do it again next Friday? ;)

    Kisses and hugs to all who came, but especially you, you Oonaballoona you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now I'm kicking myself for missing so much fun after I left! Oona, you are the master garment district ninja. I'm getting you a set of nunchucks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Missing out on sangria with you is one of the saddest things in life... sewing bloggeress life, at least. I'm not a drinker, but sangria is one of the things I drink gladly. Isn't that unfair?

    Those florals are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. P.S. I guess I'll have to gather up my courage, team up with Janul and organize a Czech version. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ everyone: next time, y'all! globe hopping meetup!

    @ s. scientist: then i must bring one to montreal!

    @ suzy: O GOD NO. make a dress, cindy's was amazing!

    @ marina: thank god, now i don't have to kill you.

    @ reana louise: i hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, you gals look like you had an absolutely amazing time!! Wish I could've been there, but I definitely get the sense of fun through these photos. So many recognizable faces. I need to visit Paron's next time I'm in town, sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a great day!!!!!!!!!!! you are all so pretty and colorful!!!!!!!! came to visit and to smile!!! ( I wish I was there) :D big yellow hugs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

i thankya truly for taking the time to comment, i love a good conversation-- and hope you know my thanks are always implied, if not always written!