10.20.2011

l lika de lace


when you are a complete doofus with your ISO settings: picnik's logo-ish feature to the rescue.

this little vintage number was part of the surprise ending that meg, debi, mena and i trotted drunkenly off to at the end of the big NY meetup.  the very stiff lace is underlined in a turquoise/teal linen from baltimore's own gus woolens.  (oh, baltimore.)  and the bodice is lined in teal silk.  cause i really hate matching.

thaaaaat's RIGHT.  lace, linen, and silk.  smell me.


i got all crafty and used the scalloped edge as my hemline, and really planned it out so the sides would match perfectly.  they did.  until i had to take it in two inches at the seams and totally fukat'ed it.  so i sliced off scallops till it matched.  i may have mentioned this to gertie in our sewing class.  it was one of the many times i earned a raised eyebrow.  her eyebrows are fabulous.


hey booooootaaaay!  i wish i would have ironed the vent.  ah well.  the back didn't originally scoop down this far. i dove about 3 inches deeper than the pattern (mccalls, 7827).  this made the straps fly out, so i threw some darts in there, you can see them if you look quite closely...


don't squint, you'll hurt your eyes!  here you go.  i'll tell you what, when the darts worked, you would've thought i'd just seen my face on the cover of vogue .  i was all I ROCK MY WORLD.  i even had an invisible zip in the stash that matched perfectly.  (black is another story.  i had to make a special trip downtown to get a black zip.  i might have a problem.)


the palette for the evening was teal and red, and my partners in crime pulled it off beautifully for a special edition of oona does it! (see their fabulousness here).  i had a thin burgundy belt, and meant to wear these plaid shoes (debi drooled a little), but after our day on the town the height was staggering... 

oh, do you like them?  i got them at daffy's.  for five dollars.

suck it, beangirl.

33 comments:

  1. Great dress! I'm digging the lace!

    Oh Daffy's... When you score you score big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love this. And the shoes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh heyyyyyy girl, whatchu doin' later? I mean, uh, your dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock my world too! You made that lace work! I can't tell you all the ways I've sliced, diced, darted and hemmed dresses in unplanned ways. Always an interesting result, but never anything quite as lllllluscious as this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lika de lace, too. Love the deep back. Awesome striped shoes- the things my dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous!

    I will have you know, also, that I was just in Baltimore for a conference and stopped by Gus Woolens on your recommendation. It was fantastic. I used so much self-restraint and then spent the rest of the conference regretting not buying half the upstairs section.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress! The color and style are gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome dress! Fabulous colour! Aaand the lace - what more could a girl want. Oh, yeah, the shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that scoop back , the lace is beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  10. The dress is amazing, but so are those shoes. Even before you started talking about the shoes, I was looking at them, thinking, 'Wow, amazing shoes.' Five dollars?! I love the scooped neck at the back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your posts. You have me laughing all the way through.
    That dress is a stunner and I love the scooped back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That back line is dazzling! And the darts super impressive. The last time I tried to throw in darts like that, I got back nipples. Not so hot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! I love the scallop hem and the deep back! Hehe, I can totally imagine Gertie's eyebrow. Maybe I should, whenever I'm embarking on some nefarious sewing shortcut... :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been waaay too long for an Oona post, but this more than makes up for it! Rock that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that's incredible. A very sexy low back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dress, very sexy. Liking the lace and colour a lot! As for the shoes - if you ever feel you don't need them, you can send them my way... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, did you just post two solid-ish colour projects in a row? I think I felt the earth tremble.

    Love the scooping back neck, and your cleverness with the darts. You rock my world, too.

    You and Beangirl are my shoe goddesses. I worship at your feet. :)

    word verification: chipa---the price Oona paid for her rocking shoes, and also, her crow of victory over Beangirl...

    ReplyDelete
  18. She's perfect Oona you look smashing and perfect dart placement too, darts fix everything. $5 shoes? score.

    YOU ROCK MY WORLD.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll tellya who's bringin' sexy back, its OO! NA!
    hehehe someone had to say it.
    I love it!!!!!! Fabric, cut, back detail, everything. Oooh and those shooooooooozzzzzzzz...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hate you.

    word verification: "schlrom"- like a girl "schlub", especially one who flaunts fabulous five dollar footwear.

    No really. That's the definition. You can look it up.

    Really.

    I took Yiddish as my second language in college.

    Really.

    Shlrom.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this dress soooo much. Stunning colour, amazing fit.... fantastic fabric combo. Spot on with the scalloped hem and I had to read twice that you made all that effort to match the sides. You are genius Oona! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looking pretty saucy! Great scooped back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sarah http://huggiedoeshomespun.wordpress.comOctober 22, 2011 at 1:22 PM

    erm loving how I can't speall my own name ..Sarah darn it

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks y'all!!! you're making me blush (especially you, ginger. haaaaaaaahhhyyyyy.)

    @ vrai-lean-uh: isn't it crazy? both my finds still smell of smoke. not cigarette; or any other other pucker up; some mysterious sort of baltimore smoke...

    @ daughter fish: back nipples. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

    @ threadsquare: you may blame it SQUARELY on my friends!!!

    @ beangirl: the rumors are true. you are not a mother of two who sews. you are the puppetmaster of word verification.

    @ sarajhjjjhhh: :).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Inspiring as always, lady! This dress rocks, and the fit is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I lika de lace
    and your pretty face
    and when we wore our dress to the place
    where the drinks were divine to taste
    and none was left to waste
    ...
    and we sat in our dresses that we did not baste...
    and you, queen of it all, in a gown of lace :)

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  27. so good. so so good. I love that colour because it looks great on pretty much everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My gosh, I'm obsessed with this dress. And those shoes just pushed me over the edge. Love it love it love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my goodness, I just stumbled across this dress and its amazing!! If you have any idea where I can find this pattern you would be my hero!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i wish i could tell you! you might try searching etsy & ebay for mccalls 7827. if memory serves, it has a white version and a floral pink version on the cover, with a teeny bow. and keep in mind i scooped the back out lower :)

      Delete
  30. You have such an amazing sense of style! You make everything look so wearable! Such a lovely outfit! Even though it’s full of dark colors, it has this nice vibe of spring :)

    ReplyDelete

i thankya truly for taking the time to comment, i love a good conversation-- and hope you know my thanks are always implied, if not always written!