4.24.2011

sew weekly sunday: resurrection dress

i might be a cylon.


when ruggy heard the sew weekly theme for this week was all about kick ass women from the small screen, he said i should be wonder woman.  really? i said surprised.  yeah,  he said wide eyed, because you are a Wonder Woman to me.

sorry peeps, he's mine.



we're battlestar galactica freaks.  watched the whole series twice through already and will probably do it again.  it is CHOCK FULL of strong women. so we pondered starbuck... she's the badass blonde (oh yeah, and he's a she in the remake).  but landed on the left with boomer.  also known as sharon valeri. also known as cylon, model number eight.  lieutenant, pilot, wife, brat, wearer of awesome outfits.

i wanted something that had a military feel to it, but, like boomer, had split personalities. 



this ain't your daddy's BSG. the cylons have evolved since the seventies. now they look just like us, right down to the blood in their weird machine veins. 


they resurrect themselves every time they bite it, downloading into a new body.  oh yeah, and they get a REALLY COOL NEW OUTFIT every time.  if i was a cylon, i might bite it just to see what outfit i got. 


but the real reason for resurrection is, sadly, not fashion.  no, no, the cylon resurrects to learn from its mistakes... hopefully. (some of them don't, you know.)

unfortunately, i think i might be one of the ones that don't. i'm really too stubborn to admit i'm ever wrong.


but i'm working on it.  should only take several thousand more downloads to get it right.

fabric: stretch jersey, form the wonkiest cut yard i've ever had. luckily i only got one, at $5 per.
pattern: the laura dress from burdastyle, free for me because i am an online pack rat of the first order, and like a good cylon downloaded every weekly pattern before they started put price tags on. it had to happen.  (now it's $4, and totally worth it.)
year: 2009
notions: zipper, $2
time to complete: 8 hours. fitting, considering my inspiration.
first worn: this weekend
wear again: possibly in my next download. i'm not so much feeling it this time around. maybe next time i'll get more boobs and less hips that are poorly accentuated by diagonal pockets.
total cost: $7

(speaking of resurrection, i get the irony.  BSG actually dives heavily into religion and belief systems, cylons have "one true god" and the humans have many deities, like greek mythology.  plus they fight this neverending battle to annihilate each other.  it is highly awesome stuff, you should check it out of you haven't already.)

33 comments:

  1. I love it, I love it, I love it! Just getting into BSG!! feeling I am getting hooked :) Love this dress so much--it looks fab and I love that you picked this show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Debi - I love this dress! I love the detail,the red piping trim and the zipper ..... love it!!! You are so very clever - ohh .....I love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pockets and that very awesome zipper detail! Funnily, BSG is one of the few nerdy series I've never gotten into. Maybe a timing thing... But, you know, I still might - it certainly does sound interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the dress, but I love the inspiration even more. You had me at Boomer. (Well, and Starbuck, if we're being honest here. Hellooooo, nurse.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with the series but I. love. this. dress. The piping and the zipper are great details and it looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get out of here! You and I were on the same space-wave-length because I entered the challenge with my "Number 6" dress. I went on a total sci-fi rant about it: number 6. That was the Cylons' original sin anyway: too many lookalikes. Heh. But dang, that zipper is Starbuck sexy all the way! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything sci-fi, and you know what else I love? This dress! I'm a big fan of that red on the pockets. Girl you are churning out outfits, and I am very very impressed xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dress is superb! I'm loving the topstitching, so precise and perfect. I think the pockets are great!
    I'm not a Battlestar fan, but Simon loves it. He also thinks you did a really good job on the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww! I love Boomer (not just because it's one of Syo's nicknames). Although Athena was pretty awesome too. And we still quote Starbuck's line about "no takesy-backsies" all the time.

    And I love your dress, but what have you ever made that I didn't?

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES!

    BSG also sunk its teeth into me. I like the way you interpreted that mood into the dress so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg i love your variation of laura dress! i have downloaded the pattern why back when it was still free too, but have not made it yet. you inspired me to use the pattern! love how you used zipper in the front:)

    xx
    chie

    ReplyDelete
  12. yay for super strong women, yay for your take on the outfit, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. *Uh* Oh my, this is AWESOME! Oona, you are amazing, you get better and better when I think there's no better to get for you anymore anyway. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great dress! Some friends keep trying to get me into BSG. I think I'll have to try the old version first:) Great details on this dress. Love the pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hoping it will grow on you, because you did a lovely job of translating the outfit into a dress without it looking too costumey (to channel Nina Garcia for a moment.)

    You know, it's kind of funny-- despite being a self-professed geek, I never could get into BSG. I watched the initial miniseries just before the show reboot premiered and didn't care for it. I guess I'm more of a fantasy nut, and have discovered that I like my sci-fi lighter with a side of goofy and not taking itself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, I've never been a fan of khaki-beige-ish colors, but I think I would become a fan for that dress. It's awesome. And the way you translated the theme was amazing.

    I really love space shows, so I think I'm going to check out BSG. I love Firefly and I did love Farscape at one point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Squeee!!!! Cylons!!!! Love love love those pockets and the exposed zipper - it is all so delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything you make is so cool and looks like it came from some really funky boutique. You have such an eye! Maybe you should be a clothing designer. Love the piping and the top-stitching and the zipper, basically everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. gorgeous! I love the zipper and all the neat little details.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice, now I'll have to add the Laura to my log list of project to-dos. :) This is amazing, looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you look amazing in this dress! Big boobs are completely overrated....right?! lol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just bloody awesome. Love the fit, the top-stitching the signature zip. Very, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. >> THANK YOU everyone! you've totally changed my mind on this dress.

    >> debi: you are IN for it. there's no stopping once you start!

    >> mick: i repeated this to ruggy when he asked why i was laughing. he quickly joined in.

    >> amy: GAH. EVERYONE GO SEE AMY'S DRESS.

    >> beangirl: double. entendre?

    >> reana louise: it's all because of the SW challenges! i always want to be an A student!

    >> emilykate: thank you and thanks to your hunk of a man. he's right about BSG. how have you not watched with him???

    >> tanit-isis: :). no takesie backsies! ah, that starbuck. such a playful little sprite.

    >> chie: thank you & congrats to you!!!

    >> daughter fish: oh no no no, please to skip the old BSG. the new one is a total re-imagining & holds up on its own!

    >> lisette: the second i win the lotto, i'm starting a line...

    >> trina: SO overrated. unless one has them, natch.

    >> don: i just love aussie compliments. i need to use bloody more in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cool dress! Very neat stitching, love the red piping on the pockets.

    And oh, how I miss watching BSG... One of the best shows ever, and also one of the best endings of a show.

    ReplyDelete
  25. PS I'm glad I found your blog, it's inspirational to see people sew cool stuff instead of just pretty flowery summer dresses :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. >> lisa: thank you so much! i did most certainly start with flowery summer dresses. made of quilter's cotton. ah, those were the days...

    BSG ending; the second time thru i did like it. the first time i was PISSED!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to admire someone who relentlessly pursues free stuff. There is a site http://www.yourstylerocks.com that also has some free cute dress patterns. I've never tried the patterns, so I can't vouch for the fit.

    Annamarie

    ReplyDelete
  28. >> hey there fashionproject9... that site looks very cool! i'm going to investigate the size charts. thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm glad you found the link useful. There is a forum on www.craftster.org that has pages and pages of links to free clothing patterns. My html is not so good, but I'll do my best to get the link right. Here goes... www.http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sv7jnqp440rab3qc165jpl2tm1&topic=159624.0

    Annamarie

    ReplyDelete
  30. this is absolutely amazing! love the pocket details and the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks for that link, annamarie--

    and thanks for the love, sofia!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Had to comment here because we are 'come lately' BSG rabid fans. How did I not know how AWESOME this show was when it originally aired? And had to add that your sewing is amazing and your an excellent writer. Love your blog. Oh....and you have incredible hair, where can I buy it? ;p

    ReplyDelete

i thankya truly for taking the time to comment, i love a good conversation-- and hope you know my thanks are always implied, if not always written!